Home
Not So Big Minizines
About Sarah Susanka
Lectures and Presentations
Books and Articles
Recommended Readings
Community Bulletin Board
Sustainability: Panelization, Energy Efficiency, Materials, Simplicity, Guides and Standards
Not So Big Remodeling
New Urbanism
Tear-down Alternatives
Showhouses
Media Center
Call for Submissions
NSB Plans for Sale
Home Professionals Directory

Sarah's Books»

Community Bulletin Board

Community Bulletin Board    Not So Big Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Building Not So Big  Hop To Forums  Architectural Home Plans    NEW IDEA FOR MULTIGENERATION HOME PLANS.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NEW IDEA FOR MULTIGENERATION HOME PLANS.
 Login/Join

<Andrew K, NY.>
posted
Hi my name is Andrew.
I am planning to build family home in near future. Naturally, I became interested in widely available home plans with much disappointment. I finally discovered The Not So Big House web site and investigated available plans there.
I was pleased to find new home designs with practical approach and no nonsense formative solutions to informal living.
I would like to suggest however, a new idea for multi generational home.
Numerous articles today describe middle class families raising their children to adulthood, and than caring for ageing grand parents.
The most single complaint I hear from seniors is that their beloved homes become not so friendly after 60. Having difficulties with ambulation seniors frequently restrict their activities to main living area, while upper levels become unoccupied.
With some adjustments Traditional single floor houses are easier to live in, but adjustments are usually crude and not always wheel chair friendly.
In July/August 2004 AARP magazine page 86, I read an interesting article on today caregivers in America estimated 44.4 millions.
The bottom line is that today homes for middle class families are not multi generational.
I like to see more home plans that will accommodate family with children, but with some esthetic modifications help with accommodation for ageing grand parents. I think this idea reaching to new costumers, not only to middle class families but also to seniors.
Truly it is investment for lifetime. Smiler
Thank you kindly for your time, I am eagerly awaiting anyones response. Sincerely; Andrew K.
P.S. Plan # LDH-1999-B OR -W is very esthetic and very appealing, if I could have that as single story building it would be even better.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<meg>
posted
Hi, Andrew. Thanks for bringing up this important issue. My husband and I will be building a summer/future retirement home, and while we don't consider ourselves elderly (mid 50s), we have to have one floor living because we were in a serious accident. (not handicapped but stairs are very difficult). So we know how hard it is to find such a plan. It seems a waste to chop off top floors! Good luck to you. Meg

<Andrew K.>
posted
07/28/04

Thank you for your opinion Meg Smiler. Again, easily accessible home with open design would be an asset and great investment. Sincerely Andrew K.

<Carol>
posted
I am very interested in this same subject. I don't know how much you have researched this idea but I will share what I know. What you are looking for is a design concept called universal design. In essence a home that will take you from cradle to the wheelchair. For example while you may not need the handrail in the bathroom yet...the wall is built with reinforcements for future handrails. If you go to the AARP website they have a list of things to make sure the house you buy or build has for this design concept.

<Andrew K.>
posted
Thank you Carol, I will check this out. Sincerely; Andrew K.

<jennifer>
posted
My husband and I are also looking for home plans that address the needs of seniors while incorporating The Not So Big House philosophy. We recently built a home designed by Susanka and absolutely love it. So much so we would love to build another when retirement rolls around. Any suggestions you might have on where to find such home plans would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

posted Hide Post
I'm currently working on just such a collection. Through my work with private clients, both new houses and addition/renovations, I'm finding that there's a huge need. People are being very practical about their own aging knees. I'm also finding a big demand for in-law apartments and modified in-law space. Aging parents often live life at a different pace than the teenagers who are often still in the house at the same time. A sitting room and a place to make a private cup of tea and snack can make a big difference. There are also changing needs as you age. The knees go first. Balance can be an issue that requires less open space and things to grab, and a later need for open space to maneuver a walker or wheelchair. We sometimes deal with this through built-ins that are designed to be easily removed later. It's

In these same designs, I'm sometimes looking ahead to how this same space can later be gracefully converted from 3 generation to 2 generation living. If you're interested, contact me through my web site (artform.biz) and I'll keep you posted as this collection progresses.

Wendy Welton, AIA
Art Form Architecture, Inc.

Wendy Welton, AIA
www.artform.biz

"Our Creativity, Your Dreams"

Posts: 31 | Location: Portsmouth, NH | Registered: 23 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As someone else mentioned, I think what you're looking for is a building concept called Universal Design.

Some good websites to check out regarding that:

http://www.zerostep.org/features.htm

http://www.universaldesign.com

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Lee in NorCal,

Posts: 26 | Registered: 07 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm now getting my collection started. http://www.artformhomeplans.com/plans/generations/
The first round focuses on smaller designs, to help control the cost - and a variety of configurations. We're now developing our 3 generation homes, where the ground floor master suite has it's own Away Room and there's a second master. I'm trying to get some spec builders interested in dedicating portions of developments to homes with wage earning adults with or without kids, plus an elderly or disabled in their care - to foster that old fashioned natural social support network that preceded "assisted living" by hundreds of thousands of years.

Wendy Welton, AIA
www.artform.biz

"Our Creativity, Your Dreams"

Posts: 31 | Location: Portsmouth, NH | Registered: 23 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello,
we do have a few very nice multigeneration stock house plans available that we are selling online, please have a look, and let me know your suggestions and what you think of them:
http://www.drummondhouseplans....nal-house-plans.html

We can also adjust larger homes, to include a separate unit for the grand-parents through our online plan modification service.

Any comments are welcome! Thanks!
Marie-France Roger

Posts: 2 | Registered: 14 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post