Home
Not So Big Minizines
About Sarah Susanka
Lectures and Presentations
Books and Articles
Recommended Readings
Community Bulletin Board
Sustainability: Panelization, Energy Efficiency, Materials, Simplicity, Guides and Standards
Not So Big Remodeling
New Urbanism
Tear-down Alternatives
Showhouses
Media Center
Call for Submissions
NSB Plans for Sale
Home Professionals Directory

Sarah's Books»

Community Bulletin Board

Community Bulletin Board    Not So Big Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Building Not So Big  Hop To Forums  Design and Construction    Smallest comfortable bedroom dimensions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Smallest comfortable bedroom dimensions
 Login/Join

posted
We're building a tiny (1000 sq. ft.) summer house in shape of a barn. We have a snoring problem so will have two identical bedrooms linked with a master bathroom with pocket doors on either side, creating a "suite" more or less.

My question is how small can I go with the width of the bedrooms (queen bed in each). I'm in the vicinity of 10 - 11 feet with my plans. I want to keep the footprint as small as possible but don't want to kick myself forever over not adding a few feet either.

Posts: 1 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 20 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sarah built a guest bedroom in her St. Paul House that was 10x11, and wished that she had increased it by just a foot. 11x11 would be about as small as you could go without it being too cramped, in her opinion.

Marie

Posts: 237 | Registered: 25 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree - I use 11x11 as my minimum for a room with a Queen bed. With a single occupant in each of your two, you might be fine with 10x11, but you would preserve your resale value if you go a bit larger.

Wendy

Wendy Welton, AIA
Art Form Architecture, Inc.
www.artform.biz

"Our Creativity, Your Dreams"

Posts: 31 | Location: Portsmouth, NH | Registered: 23 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post