Home
Not So Big Minizines
About Sarah Susanka
Lectures and Presentations
Books and Articles
Recommended Readings
Community Bulletin Board
Sustainability: Panelization, Energy Efficiency, Materials, Simplicity, Guides and Standards
Not So Big Remodeling
New Urbanism
Tear-down Alternatives
Showhouses
Media Center
Call for Submissions
NSB Plans for Sale
Home Professionals Directory

Sarah's Books»

Community Bulletin Board

Community Bulletin Board    Not So Big Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Building Not So Big  Hop To Forums  Design and Construction    Most economical home plan?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Most economical home plan?
 Login/Join

posted
I'm reviewing several home plans and am wanting to know which ones would be the most economical to build in general(the home will be in Colorado).

From healthyhomeplans.com:

1. Prarie Ingenuity SS-567
2. Minnesota SS-105
3. L’Eaubelle MM-216
4. A River Runs Below It SS-517 (need to add a 2-car garage)

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Posts: 4 | Registered: 24 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Because of their shape (not a lot of bumped out parts on the footprint), Prairie Ingenuity would be the most economical, followed by A River Runs Below It.

I hope this is helpful. Thanks.

Posts: 237 | Registered: 25 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback. That helps a lot! Where would plan SS-174 Not So Big fit in this list?

posted Hide Post
Very expensive. To do it per the plans, and to finish it as seen in books 1 and 2, requires some serious money, and a very serious builder.

Posts: 22 | Location: Lake Placid, NY | Registered: 14 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Gene, do you have any experience with #1, and 4 in my list? I'm trying to narrow a plan down and don't mind a simpler house shape to reduce construction costs as much as possible, while keeping the overall quality high.

posted Hide Post
You might be interested in the plans for the Not So Big Showhouse 2006, which will be available next year, probably by March. Go to www.notsobigshowhouse.com to read more about it.

Thanks.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by notsobig:
You might be interested in the plans for the Not So Big Showhouse 2006, which will be available next year, probably by March. Go to www.notsobigshowhouse.com to read more about it.

Thanks.

Hi...could we get an update on what's happening with the 2006 Showhouse? thanks

Posts: 3 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There will unfortunately not be a 2006 showhouse, though we plan to make the plans available at some point in the future. I don't have a date for you on that.

Thanks.

Marie

posted Hide Post
Marie, have you posted the 2006 Showhouse plans on any site? If not - will you?

Would like to see the layout, front and rear drawings.

THX

Posts: 2 | Location: IL | Registered: 01 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As it turns out, the plans will not be available until the house is built, which won't be until next year sometime, unfortunately. We are currently looking into different options and will be sure to let you know when we have something for you.

Thanks!

Marie

posted Hide Post
Hello,
I realize this is an older thread, but we are looking to build "Prairie Ingenuity". Anybody out there who has built the same? Looking for other views besides what is published in the book. thank you
alex

Posts: 6 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 06 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post